Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Annoying things that couples say to singles…

Funny how “they” say that love will find you when you least expect it. I got bit by the love bug… hard! A couple of months ago I went to Chicago to visit a good girlfriend who moved there over the summer. While there I connected with an old guy friend of mine. I can’t quite put my finger on what changed for me but when I saw him something bubbled up inside me and I instantly knew that there was something there. Little did I know that just a few months later I would be head over heels in love with a man I’ve known for 6 years. Never in a million years would I have thought that my trip to Chicago would lead to me finding love.

I used to be (and still am…) gravely annoyed by my friends who are in relationships that say shit like: “You’ll find love when you least expect it, or when you are not looking for it!” In my brain that was almost the equivalent of running fingernails down a chalkboard. Now after many years of living the “single-life” and having my fair share of horrible dating stories, I can honestly, but begrudgingly say that they were all right. It was at that moment when I literally decided that “I’m done!”, that love decided to waltz into my life.

While I am happy, elated, on cloud nine, there is one thing I absolutely know for sure. No matter how true the aforementioned statement is, I will never utter those dreadful words to my single friends, because in my world, they are right up there with “You are such a great catch, I don’t understand why you are single?”. I don’t know how some people can fix their faces to let these words drop out of it and think that this is a compliment. Let me set the record straight and let it be known that it is NOT! This question, while it may seem like a compliment is one of the biggest insults and most singles I know take this question to mean: “What is wrong with YOU?”

*Climbing down off of soap-box, and back up on cloud nine now*

2 comments:

Jilliebeanie said...

I stumbled across your blog via bright side dweller.

I enjoyed your soap box chat. There will always be people who consider themselves one step ahead that will question why you're not where they are.

When single, people constantly remark about being coupled. When dating, people constantly remarking about marriage. When married, people constantly remark about children. After one child, people want to know if you'll have more. Then what? Grandkids? Retirement?

Why can't we just let one another enjoy the current phase in life?

Well, anyway...great post.

Jiza said...

Thanks for your comment! I couldn't agree with you more! Your question is a good one... why does it seem so hard to enjoy what you have in lieu of always lusting for what you don't????